Monday, May 26, 2008

Back from our Bali trip - Day 1

Using our krisflyer points we booked a trip to Bali. Bali has always been a place I wanted to go. The impression I get is that Bali is a great resort place. I think its because of this great expectation that I was greatly disappointed. It wasn't what I expect it to be.
But still despite that, we still had fun :)
Day 1

After a great breakfast (wasn't really great. One of the worst breakfast we had. We ate once in the hotel and we never had another day of breakfast in the hotel again!), we set out for a day tour with our tourguide. He was really proud of his 1970 something VW jeep. When he picked us up from the airport he was like "This is my VW jeep. Its european." Yes I know its european made but its OLD. I wasn't too impressed with his jeep. I would have prefer a new land rover jeep.
So we made our way 1st to the elephant caves.. which does not have any elephants. Its a religious place. Bali as we know from the guide was 80% hindu. Because we were wearing berms, we had to put on a sarong before we can go in.

Even the deities have to put on sarong. To the balinese, big trees are considered holy as well therefore a cloth is wrapped around them and offerings are made everyday in front of the tree.


This is a pond in the middle of the elephant caves. There seems to boiling stuff in the pond which the guide say is because of the volcano. It there is volcano, then that pond must be hot.. BUT.. there is fishes swimming inside.


We then drive to the volcano. According to the guide, there are 3? volcanoes there. 1 active while the rest lays dormant. It erupted in 1907? and 1960 something before. So according to my own calculations, isn't it about time they move out of that place??


It was scary making our way of out of the volcano area. Well, for Mrs Tootsie it was because she was worrying if it was her time and that the volcano will erupt as we try to escape. For me, it was of the OLD VW jeep. I was afraid it does not have enough power to climb our way out.

Balinese are a bunch of very religious group of people. They pray everyday.. 3 times a day in fact. They pray with this box shape thing they make from leafs with an incense and some flowers inside.

It is outside every shop you can find in Bali. We have to avoid stepping on it all the time.

No comments: